A place where you can read almost anything and everything under the sun.

Monday, November 21, 2005

THE JOURNEY OF FAITH



The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people, and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." (Genesis 12:1) It seems to me that the journey of faith is not such an easy to follow map.

It is a one-step-at-a-time kind of experience. When God called Abraham to leave his hometown and follow Him, Abraham was given no map, no set of directions. He didn't even know his destination. God just said, "Get up and go to a land that I will show you."
Abraham was expected to go where God led him, a step at a time, a day at a time. There were no guarantees that the journey would be easy. He had a lot of heartache along the way, his share of danger, and the painful introspection of living with postponed hopes.
Yet he is living as a man of faith.

God doesn't promise us a life of mountain top experiences. There will be valleys to go through, too. Dark valleys. Disorienting valleys. Valleys of depression and despair. What He promises is not a road map that will give us a detour around those valleys, but that He will walk through those valleys with us.

When we emerge from those experiences, we look back and realize that that's where the growth is. It isn't on the mountaintops, above the timberline; it's in the valleys.

** DEAR LORD, You never promised me a rose garden; you never said that this world would be easy. But you have promised me that in times of joy and in times of difficulty you will always be with me. As I pass through the valley of adversity in my life, please grant me the faith and strength to face them. Take away all my fears, and let me just hold Your hand as I continue my journey of faith. Thank You, Lord

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home