A place where you can read almost anything and everything under the sun.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

HOW THANKFUL ARE WE?

My mother was a thankful woman who, although he was sick for most of her married life, never ceased to praise the Lord. My father, a shoe maker who never earned more than $12 a week, was a singing Christian.

What a precious heritage! What blessed memories! It seems that without all the gadgets and luxuries and appliances, our parents were far more thankful. Before each meal. we would ask God's blessing and read a portion of the Bible, and after the meal we would offer thanksgiving. It is a far cry from that day to this. How little we pray -- and when we do, how much of it's petition and how little is thanksgiving!

During World War II, many churches were kept open 24 hours a day so people could come and pray for loved ones on the battlefront. A caretaker in one of those churches noticed a boy who came in every day for about ten minutes. After several weeks, the youngster came in and stayed on his knees much longer.The concerned caretaker spoke to him and asked why he was there so long. He replied, "Each day I came here for a few minutes to ask God to bring my father home safely. This morning he did, so I hurried over here to talk to the Lord for answering my prayer." How thankful are we?

LORD, beyond all, thank You for Your love for me. I rejoice that Your light guides my path and Your faith uplifts me in times of difficulty. Lord, thank You for my father and my mother whose love and care has sustained me since I first saw the light of day, for their hands that reached out to help me in the time of sudden need. I thank You for my family, for loved ones You have brought into my life. Teach me to count the blessings You send each day in many ways -- the thought and kindly deed that others gave and the things that we often take for granted when we pray. Lord, remind me to say a prayer of thanksgiving each day.

Shared by Joe Gatuslao
Bacolod City, Philippines

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home