A place where you can read almost anything and everything under the sun.

Friday, March 03, 2006

My RAINy Bangkok Experience - Part 1


Day One – June 24, 2006

Can’t sleep the night before, pure excitement is what I feel. Before it was just wishful thinking for me to see Jeong Jihun perform live on stage. Never in my wildest dream did I plan to see him infront of me performing, singing and dancing the way I would want to see him does his stint. Now after many months of dreaming about him, I am going to Bangkok, Thailand to see RAIN perform. A dream come true, yes it is for me. For someone who is already 43 years old and have a kid, I don’t think I should be acting this way. The guy is almost 20 years my junior, but what the heck, I am just a fan from afar and I plan on keeping it that way.

Back to the 1st day anticipation of going to Bangkok. At the airport, I waited for an officemate to arrive because he would be with me to go to Bangkok. Although his reason for going is entirely different from our reason in going to Bangkok, but heck, he did join for a first hand experience in travelling to another country. It’s Ayan’s first experience to ride a plane and he’s excited about it. I saw Ziel, another club member and I was told that Elle is trying to have her ticket confirmed so she can join us in Bangkok. Elle has a brother who works at PAL so she has benefit to use PAL services at a discount, if I’m not mistaking it’s called ID75. Back home, I was also worried because I found out that there is a planned Coup de Etat and that rallies and barricades is being set-up to overthrow the present government. I was calling home every now and then to see if my family is okay. I was ready to back out of the trip if something is definitely wrong, but my sister told me not to worry because classes was cancelled because of what is happening. At least that gave me enough peace of mind because I know my kid will be okay while I am away. I was also texted by a friend, Tet. She advised me to leave early so I wont have a hard time going to the airport though I did assure her that I was already at the airport. I also found out that another friend, Charity was also leaving for Hongkong. She was instructed to attend a meeting or something but unfortunately we were not able to see each other because she got her booking at another airline and she is at NAIA/Terminal 1 when she texted me. Back to Elle, I was trying also to get in touch with my nephew who is working at PAL to help Elle get a sit so she can join us in Bangkok. To make the long story short and after eons of waiting and sweet talking the counter personnel, I was assured by the man who attended to Elle’s request that she can indeed get in the flight. I was particularly happy because I would want everybody to have a grand time and it will also give us the chance to know fellow Biers (as what we call each other at the forum). Our flight was delayed so we left Phil. Airport almost 12noon (originally our flight was scheduled 10:30am) so you could imagine how we all felt while we were at the airport plus the fact that Elle was given her boarding pass a little before 20mins before boarding time. Everybody was sitting close to each other except for Elle who was sitted at the left side of the plane. I was sitting next to Leah, this is the 1st time I talked to her and she is sweet to talk to. We exchanged stories about ourselves and I found out that she work at INTEL, one of the biggest Computer Company here in the Philippines. We watched the in-flight movie and ate the food served by flight attendants and I even bought chocolates as precautionary measures in case my sugar acted up again. My first booboo in the trip, forgot to buy chocolate and noodles in case I wont be able to eat Thai foods. I won’t discuss my sugar issues because I don’t want anything to stop me from enjoying myself.

At the immigration line-up we all got separated. It’s Ayan and me who were lined up in the same lane while the rest was in another lane. After picking up our luggages, I saw a man holding out paper where my name is written. I was told by man that he will be our driver in going to the hotel. Everything went well during the ride to the hotel. I tried calling Mai and Cherry, both are Thailanders who I was able to know through RainPH forum. I texted them and told them were I am staying and was told that they will get in touch with me after work. While passing by several areas, Ayan was joking that some of the place we were passing looks like Manila. While enjoying the view we were distracted by the two other passengers who were smooching in front of us. We just laughed our heads of and talked in Tagalog so the two won’t understand that we are talking about them. When we were dropped of at the hotel our first comment was, our hotel looks like those found in Malate, so many Indies and Malays are checked in when we were there. We checked in and went directly to our room. The first thing I did was to change footwear so we can explore the place. I was excited to look the place up but my spirit dampened when I found out that majority of the locals does not know how to talk in English. Even the front desk personnel can’t understand what I am saying and they have to wait for one particular personnel who can speak a little English. Went back to the room and waited for the rest to check in. When everybody is settled, Mai called and told me that she is treating us out for dinner. Told everybody about Mai’s plan, everybody agreed but Rica said that they need to buy something while waiting for Mai to arrive. The rest of the evening was okay because Mai is cool. Mai took us at MBK and we had our dinner at Coffee Canyon (can’t remember the exact resto name). We took pictures and after dinner went to some stores to buy some souvenirs. There was a store at MBK that sells Korean series and souvenirs so everybody was hunting for something to buy. I think it was Rica who saw the stamp made by RB being sold for 180bht. In some ways it would be like an indirect advertising/publicity for RainPH because RainPH name is on the stamp.

The evening went well and everybody had a nice time knowing each other. Everybody called it a night all with one thing to look forward to, to watch BI/Rain concert. Back at the hotel, others decided to explore the city but I decided to call it a night because I still have to meet Cherry to discuss/arrange the van we need to rent.


DAY 2 – June 25, 2006 (First Day Rainy Day Concert)

I woke up Ayan early because he wants to join the group tour that goes with the package and he will be picked up around 830am. I would have joined but I have to take care of the van we need to rent so that we will have our transportation in going to/from the concert. One club member is also scheduled to arrive on this date but knowing Mai will fetch her, I just went on my way to meet Cherry to discuss about the van we need to rent. I was wrong in that assumption because a few minutes before Cherry arrived, Mai called and said that she cannot fetch Karen because she has to attend a meeting and was tasked to have lunch with the people she has meeting with. I requested Rica to call Karen and tell her what is happening and that she have to take a cab when she arrive Bangkok. With that resolved I waited for Cherry at the hotel lobby. When she arrived I took her to where RB and Elle are and introduced her to them. We left RB and Elle fixing the stuff we will be bringing at the concert while I discussed with Cherry how to go about the details of the trip and how long we need the van we are renting. After everything is settled, I went back to the hotel because Cherry has to buy some items in one of the store where I bought my Thai Sim card. I have to buy a Thai sim card because I was having a hard time using my Globe sim. I was asked to present an ID before I can buy the sim card unlike in the Philippines where you can buy the sim even with sidewalk vendors. While inside the taxi Mai called me and said to relay her apologies to Karen. Assured Mai not to worry because Karen can take care of herself knowing that this is not her first time to go abroad. Karen arrived at the hotel 5mins after I arrived at the hotel after meeting up with Cherry.

The big event, we all went to Impact Arena 300pm. Everybody was in a festive mood when we arrive, so many items being sold but all very expensive. Even a simple poster is being sold for 20bht, tees for 400bht, pillowcases for 300bht (or 500bht for 2 pillowcases) battery operated lights 80bht and would you believe even the tarps are sold for 2000bht, aishhhhhhhhhhh. Way too expensive for me and besides my budget is running low already because of some unexpected expenses. Someone announced that camera, audio equiptment and even video devices are not allowed inside. As penalty if anybody is caught, said devise will be confiscated. Talk about major bummers, this is the major bummer for the evening. I was really hoping I can get pictures during the concert anyway I ended up leaving the camera inside the van.

Inside the venue, Tita Susan was seating beside and we were exchanging stories before the show start. The concert started around 820pm (Thai time). Byul was the opening act and she is really pretty. She sang 2 songs, I Thank You and I Think I. She was talking to the audience in Thai and everybody was having a good time just listening to her. Everybody was expecting JYP to perform but he did not. I was a little upset because JYP always perform every time Rain does his concert. Anyway back to the concert, when Rain was being introduced, and jumped out of nowhere, the first thing I noticed from him was his eyes. There was no glow in his eyes. I told Tita Susan about this and even said I think Rain is sick. True enough during the entire concert the stamina I know he usually exert in his concert was not there. He sang his usual songs but all I can sense in him is he is tired. Even when he tries to make himself cute infront of everybody I still miss the Jeong Jae I know him to be. The smiling eyes that melts my heart every time I see him. He was trying to talk to us in english that night (with the usual twang of course) and I just find it cute because he was trying his best to speak the language. Rain gave his best so what can we do but to applaud him for it. I noticed people infront of us where plugging their ears with their fingers whenever we scream so I have to tell Tita Susan to join me in screaming even louder every time Rain sings. When Rain sang Nan one can hear how he tried to give his best in singing the song. I think he’s really cold because he has to get out of the pouring (man-made) rain just to compose himself. My guess was right when he started singing Still unfamiliar, he sang off-key and my heart cries out to him. I saw the reaction of the people infront of us. I want to shout and say the hell with the off-key note. He is trying his best to give us the BEST performance and I won’t let one off-key note stain my admiration to the guy. Tita Susan and I were enjoying the whole evening singing and dancing even while we were sitting. After singing I LOVE You Rain said that will be his last song. Everybody said no but when they all went inside one who really ask is it the last song. It took them almost 3mins before Rain and his dancers went out to do the encore number. In any concert 3 mins is a long wait and you can just imagine the question that keeps popping out of my head. Rain only sang a few lines and all I can hear him say is kamsa-hamneeda over and over again. I heard him sang off-key again but I don’t care as I have said before, Rain will always do his damn best not to disappoint his fans and I admire him for it.

After the concert everybody in the group were still hyper and were all very happy with the turn-out of the concert. We heard that Rain will be passing by enroute to the hotel so we all waited for him to get out. Unfortunately, we did not get a glimpse of Rain so we all went back to the van. When we were all seated at the van I noticed some of the RainPh members were standing outside. I am not about to elaborate what happened so I will just tell you what happened during the dinner with other Rain Fan Club member. Everybody enjoyed introducing and knowing each other so let's just say the evening went along well (minus the usual headaches in the group). I was particularly elated that night because I got the chance to meet Kate666, Boa, Raina is sweet (whom I came across thru Jeongjihun) and Wendy is also sweet.
Back at the hotel, everybody was happy which includes me (of course). Can't explain how I felt that early morning and I can't wait also for the 2nd day concert of Rain. With this in mind I went to sleep dreaming of no one else but RAIN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home